Monday, August 4, 2014

Susannah's Birthday Party

My sweet sister Susannah recently turned 10. I was put in charge of planning her party. Of course, being myself, I decided to go all in and do elaborate preparations. I had seen a really neat cake on Pinterest that had polka dots on the inside. I really wanted to try it so I begged my mom to let me make it. She said I could as long as I started it a few days before the party, thereby giving me enough time to make a plain vanilla cake should it flop. The recipe called for a cake pop pan to make the polka dots, but I didn't have one so I improvised. I made regular sized colorful cupcakes and then my ingenious older sister shaped them into balls with an ice-cream scoop.  Thankfully it did work and although I had to stay up till midnight the night before the party to finish last minute preparations (such as decorating the cakes), the party turned out to be a great success. 
The party table, decorated by Anna-Rebekah
The polka dot cake!
The little girls made bookmarks and coffee filter butterflies
They also played a game called Pass the Parcel in which a present, wrapped with as many layers as there are participants, is passed around while music plays. When the music stops, whoever is holding it unwraps a layer. You keep repeating that until there are no more layers. The gift usually goes to the last person to unwrap it, however we put a bag of m n m's for everybody to share.

The moment of truth....it worked!
The happy birthday girl

No comments:

Post a Comment